Woman's World
WELCOME BACK

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Woman's World
WELCOME BACK
Woman's World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fruit and teeth something new i learnt today

+3
mrsmb
Jade
Mand
7 posters

Go down

today - Fruit and teeth something new i learnt today Empty Fruit and teeth something new i learnt today

Post  Mand Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:29 am

They say you learn something new everyday and today i did!
Ellie had an app at the dentist,she keeps mentioning to me that her teeth feel rough when she puts her tongue on them so everytime they feel rough i tell her to go and brush them thinking that it was plaque,she brushes twice a day anyway and has a good toothbrush and toothpaste so i guessed she was not brushing them well enough,even though she does them in front of me.
I spoke to the dentist about it and he asked what her diet was like,i told him if she wants a snack she will choose fruit over everything,like yesterday she had some raspberrys then complained of her teeth feeling rough,he said the acid in the fruit will temporarily soften the enamel on the teeth,if you then brush them you are brushing away the enamel Shocked so you must never brush them after having fruit!
As she has fruit with her breakfast every morning he has now advised that she brushes before she eats rather than after.
I was quite shocked to be honest,i know they say the acid in fruit is not good for your teeth but stupidly i didnt realise what it actually does and the harm it has been doing to her teeth by telling her to brush them!
Mand
Mand
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Location Location : Strood Kent

Back to top Go down

today - Fruit and teeth something new i learnt today Empty Re: Fruit and teeth something new i learnt today

Post  Jade Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:37 am

I knew that like the acidity in fizzy drinks does that to the enamel and that you shouldn't drink coke and then brush your teeth... see you think fruit is good for you but not your teeth!

Jade
ADMIN
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

today - Fruit and teeth something new i learnt today Empty Re: Fruit and teeth something new i learnt today

Post  mrsmb Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:07 am

I went on a weaning course when I had Stephen and they told me that you should leave at least 40 minutes between eating and brushing your teeth and it's much better to brush them first to save the enamel being removed x

mrsmb
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post  Babymilly Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:26 am

Wow. I really didnt know that.

When we were little we used to have fruit after our tea as my mum said it would help to clean our teeth!
Babymilly
Babymilly
ADMIN
ADMIN

Location Location : Cheshire

Back to top Go down

Post  Jade Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:41 am

yeah I thought apple was good for cleaning teeth... maybe it is as long as you don't brush your teeth afterwards Very Happy

Jade
ADMIN
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post  libertytmk Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:42 am

I didn't know this either. Jamie quite regularly has a banana in the morning and then we clean his teeth
libertytmk
libertytmk
Forum Super Star
Forum Super Star

Back to top Go down

Post  Zee Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:48 am

I remember the dental nurse at Oliver's tots groups telling me this. I think it's on a toothpaste advert too Smile
She was saying bananas were quite bad too with the natural sugars :? I always thought bananas to be quite a safe food...you automatically assume oranges and citrus fruits to be the worst
Zee
Zee
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Location Location : Yorkshire

Back to top Go down

Post  dellamaria Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:28 pm

I only learned you were supposed t wait after eating anything acidic last year or so Mand. I hate it for myself as I like brushing right after as cant stand having a weird food taste in my mouth or I think I have bad breath.z

dellamaria
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down